The feature I'd most like to see in Delphi is....

Lower price tag.

The product is really expensive, lower the price tag so new programmers can look at it and see the power of Delphi by themselves. I really love this product but with the price I'm stucked to 2005 version.

201 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dobrin PetkovDobrin Petkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totaly agree with Roland: Embarcadero need to have a very basic free version of Delphi to make it attractive for hobby programmers. There should also be a free or cheap version for students. Rember that those that are teenagers and students today are potential Delphi programmers in 5 years. Or they just follow the stream and use Dotnet or Java...

If I look for vacant work as Delphi programmer there is not much. If I look for Delphi educations there is not much. Thats the reasons Embarcadero should change the minds.

• Frank ReynoldsFrank Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chicken and Egg problem for many developers - need a low price to get the product out, so they can get the money to pay for the development tools... but a lower price will encourage many to go legal.

A suggestion for 'students' - a really low price (?? $20 ??), with a lot of features, but with a 1 year lifetime, and has a watermark in the .exe - so they can learn, play, develop, but can't really sell the app, and next year, another few $$, keep going

• andréandré commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main problem is the business model.
        A developed software don´t have the same profitability than other, and initially it not exists. And the charge is the same for everyone.
        The different versions of delphi have different costs but doesn´t answer the needs of every developer.
        Example, someone need a complete delphi version but their profitability is less than other that need the basic version.
        The Embarcadero directors need to study real value of the delphi for the every customer.
        My suggestion to change this model is, charge the customer according the profit of software.
        To do this delphi need have only one complete version, and be licensed by time with a much lower affordable price and grown the charge when renew the license according to the customer profit grown.
        This model have more business work but is more fair.
        (excuse my bad english)
        André MP

• Roland BengtssonRoland Bengtsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course if you make money from Delphi the pricetag may not be that important. But we all have to start somewhere. Embarcadero need to have a very basic free version of Delphi to make it attractive for hobby programmers. There should also be a free or cheap version for students. Rember that those that are teenagers and students today are potential Delphi programmers in 5 years. Or they just follow the stream and use Dotnet or Java...

If I look for vacant work as Delphi programmer there is not much. If I look for Delphi educations there is not much. Thats the reasons Embarcadero should change the minds.

• WarrenWarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with lwan. Starter edition is exactly the best that commercial software could be expected to be for $99. Of course it has some feature limitations, but those feature limitations are not as severe as any Light or Personal delphi versions have been in the past. If you make money using Delphi (commercial use) then you need to buy the commercial version. Anybody who whines about that is just a whiner.
        Warren

• IwanIwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Starter Edition did not solve the problem. Starter edition is useless. This is my opinion:
        Starter has some feature limitation and commercial limitation. It can be use just to learn how to write apps in delphi, but to create a real commercial apps need pro edition at least, but you can't explore the pro feature either without first buying it.
        The price tag i Suggest is:
        There is maybe a free or lower price basic edition that only have a few standard component packaged so that new programmer can learn how to write apps in delphi.
        Provide a feature based price so that programmer can buy just the feature they really need. Feature can consist of a few component package.
        For example: i need datasnap feature, so i need to buy the datasnap feature that maybe consist of datasnapserver, datasnap client, dbexpress, dbclient components.
        The Features to sell seperately might be: DataSnap, 64 Bit Compiler, OSX Compiler, Firemonkey, Live Bindings, Fast Report, Rave Report, Indy Component, Beyond Compare, Code Site, SynEdit, Interbase, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base