The feature I'd most like to see in Delphi is....

Multithreaded Compiler

Take advantage of multiple cores by compiling multiple separate units simultaneously.

113 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joe WhiteJoe White shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StebiStebi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren I'm sure the single pass design doesn't work against multithreading. The compiler has to stop compiling the current unit if it hits other units in the uses clause. It could spawn threads for each unit in the uses clause.

• WarrenWarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delphi compilation and its so-called Single Pass design is also inherently Single Threaded. There is not much that can be done here, unless it's to build an entire project group in the background with multiple PROCESSES. Even then, there can be colissions in dependencies and outputs/inputs.

• gaddlordgaddlord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modern C++ compilers are very fast (especially GCC using multi core switch). Do not relly on performance metrics done 10 years ago. There is room for improvement.

I now have a SSD as development hard drive. Any remaining IO waiting dropped to zero ...so I beg for a multithreaded compiler.

I think nobody complains about the delphi compilation speed compared to C++, but everything could be faster. The good thing in Delphi is, it is already fast and there is so much room for improvement. Have you ever worked on a project >1 Million lines? It compiles in about 30 seconds (second run, files already cached)...but for me it's about 25 seconds too slow ;-)

• Osama AlassiryOsama Alassiry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somebody complaining about Delphi's compilation speed??? Have you ever used Delphi? Have you ever used Microsoft's C++ or anything else? Try both and compare.

The first time you compile the bottleneck is indeed the hard drive, but after that everything is cached and raw processor power determinate the compiling speed. I definitely vote for a multithreaded compiler.

Feedback and Knowledge Base