The feature I'd most like to see in Delphi is....

Delphi compiler Obj Output format

I wish Delphi will be able to use and product Obj Files in COFF format instead of just OMF.

OMF is obsolete.

This itself will open doors to many excellent third party libraries.

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Allen BauerAllen Bauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a myth. The notion that compiling to COFF would magically "open up" a bunch of excellent third parties, ignores many factors. For any given COFF file, *you* are responsible for providing any unresolved symbols. Many of these unresolved symbols are probably from the VC++ RTL itself, which means you're now faced with implementing a portion of the C/C++ RTL. Another item that makes this a huge case of "be careful of what you ask for" is that if the COFF object contained classes and wasn't wrapped in a flat "C" API, it would not be callable from Delphi. Name mangling is very, very different as well. Finally, even though the overall top-level format of COFF is documented, there is very little information about the content of many of the COFF file sections. Most notably, the debug info. We'd be spending a large portion of our time reverse-engineering the format rather than actually working on new features.

• Christian WimmerChristian Wimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would allow to bring C and Delphi together. Currently, we need to compile C code also in Borland C++ to create compatible obj files.

Feedback and Knowledge Base