The feature I'd most like to see in Delphi is....

Better GUI separation and abstraction

Rethink the dataset centric, drag and drop approach to GUI design. Support alternative approaches to application design such as MGM/MVC/MVP. Add VCL and tooling support for these practices.

610 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David ChampionDavid Champion shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen BallStephen Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Malcolm Groves excellent session at CodeRage 7 covers this MVVM
        http://www.embarcaderoc.om/coderage

"An Introduction to Model-View-View Model (MVVM) in Delphi
        With the addition of cross-platform support to Delphi, and the coming Mobile Studio product, there is an increasing need to have device-specific User Interfaces. At the same time, you want to minimize the amount of code you have to rewrite for each platform. This session will look at Model-View-ViewModel, one technique that leverages LiveBindings to not only minimize the effort required to slide different UIs in front of your code, but also increases the maintainability and testability of your app as a bonus."

• Troy WolbrinkTroy Wolbrink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about Live Binding in XE2? Wouldn't this give you the flexibility to move past TDataSet, and it works with VCL and FireMonkey.

• Gad D LordGad D Lord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GUI separation becomes even more needed since now we have two GUI frameworks- VCL and FireMonkey.

• StebiStebi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, don't limit it to databases. Every kind of data should be supported.

Feedback and Knowledge Base